With its sights set on the sustainable development of future cities, River Origins Art Town invited Sweco, a Swedish company renowned worldwide for its environmentally friendly projects, to design the master plan.
In light of nature, we minimize the interventions, humbly blending our designs back in its environment and creating a localized landscape.
Yinchuan serves as an oasis in the hinterland of Northwest China. Although its surrounding areas are mostly desert and the Gobi, Yinchuan Plain carries in the green mountains and water here since ancient times, indeed a godsend endowment with the fate of “the Yellow harms all but Hetao Plain”. Guarding this highly resilient ecosystem, therefore, receives particular importance in our development.
* We preserve original farmland texture in ponds and paddy wetlands permanently.
* For Huinong canal built in the year of 1726, we employed solely the rubble stones for embankment to maximize protection of vegetation.
* Compared to expensive foreign plantation as ginkgo or platanus orientalis, poplar, angustifolia and other native species are our preferences.
* Selection of local materials is aimed at restoring a landscape with regional charms.
We will plan a traffic network that prioritizes pedestrians, non-motor vehicles and public transportation. In addition, we will build a comprehensive slow lane, encouraging more people to participate in the eco-transportation.
Differences in such ideas generate different urban traffic systems. In ordinary cities, social priorities often follows the sequence of private vehicle, motor vehicle with high passenger volume, taxi, commercial vehicle, public transport, bicycles and pedestrians in terms of importance. River Origins Yinchuan Art Town follows the opposite direction.
* We build a network of high accessibility. Small-scale street system, city squares and parks form a unique block structure.
* Small-scale, multifunctional network can maximize accessibility and convenience, encouraging slow walk and public transport.
* We create an ideal environment for slow traffic. Express cycling trails formed safe, fast and direct transportation in the planning area for the formation of safe, fast and direct bicycle traffic, improving driving conditions for commuters and others. Leisure bike paths and green areas combined to compose a landscape more suitable for commuting children family outdoor events.
* All pedestrian and cycling lanes are highly practical and easily identified. At each crossing of slow and vehicle lanes, priority is given to the consistency of the former.
* Small radius of service and facilities: 100% of residential units are less than a 500-meter walk away from service centers; more than 90% of them can reach a bus station in less than 300 m.
Water Resources Utilization
Water is the blood vessel of land. Ponds and wetlands in the original topography are the capillaries.
The diversion function of capillaries is what environmental quality, human health and water recycling all rely upon.
We want to re-establish balance between water resources and environment.
Covered with rivers and ditches, the site has two crossing irritation canals, namely Huinong and Han Yan, while Mingcui Lake National Wetland and other ponds dotted throughout. Lateral seepage from the Yellow River, irrigation canals and farm water supplies endow upon the site rich, quality surface water. When development dawns on this land, water demand and supply will change in every way.
To protect the water environment from the original impact, we will retain the original texture of the fish ponds. As Yinchuan is located in a month's rainfall concentrated in a few dry areas, the impact of high evaporation of water quantity and water quality caused by the establishment of the town's municipal network processing sewage, rainwater and runoff, jointly introduced pond wetland, maintain wetlands Water balance. By setting the water quality monitoring stations in the purifying tank, we have achieved real-time monitoring of water quality. After monitoring the effluent can be qualified as a national wetland park on the north side of the water sources. Under this program, about 50% of the sewage can be reused.
Rainwater Collection with Eco-Trenches
Eco-trenches are introduced as a densified kind of land capillaries, fast diverting large amount of street runoff and further reducing the risk of flooding. Ecological land reservoirs, instead of auxiliary piping devices, can achieve real-time rainwater infiltration. In addition, within the eco-trenches, there can be local vegetation that reduces maintenance and management requirements as well as creates visually appealing streetscape.
Lowlands and native plants are chose to hold storm water and install rainwater collector within.
Sunken squares are considered too as places for storm water.
Rainwater tanks can be combined to increase capacity.
Lowered grass ditches on both sides of the road can collect rainwater for flood detention and irrigation.
Waste Recycling and Energy Conversion
There is not waste in the world, but only misplaced resources.
Being friendly to environment and public health, we are committed to exploring a socially and economically viable technology that brings comprehensive, long-term benefits to regional development.
A sustainable waste management system will not be simplified into a slogan, but rooted in the interests of all stakeholders.
Managers, developers, residents and business owners must be clear about why the garbage needs to be managed in a sustainable manner.
Producers, collectors and handlers of waste should also understand the importance of waste classification so as to take into account environmental impact and achieve best financial result at the same time.
Property management companies should be able to discover potential business logics from incentive policies, so they will gradually take initiative to run the recycling stations.
At the same time, different rates can be charged as a way to transform behaviors. For instance, residential and office buildings that use garbage grinders and other measures can have a lower waste management costs.
We sincerely welcome the participation of medical and city planning department, especially educational centers that raise relevant awareness among children and encourage family sharing.
From incentives, demonstration and enlightenment to education and information publication......Through methodical and patient guidance, we hope to establish a local chain of sustainable ecological interests that readily allows waste recycling in the long term.